Monday, January 28, 2013

In the Moment

I always feel like it need to be a big event for me to blog about it, like a Birthday, Christmas, Wedding, or a Vacation. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about this quote and trying to implement it into my life.
I do think of myself as a happy person, but I do think that I am guilty of waiting for my golden ticket or my golden moment. As I do this, I put a huge emphasis on the big moments. I expect every holiday to be this magical memory. Or wear myself thin,  trying to make sure that everything is just perfect. That way if Good Housekeeping, were to ever stop by, I would be ready for an impromptu interview and photo-shoot. While I think that perfect holidays are a "worthy goal", I do want to stop and "discover and treasure the beauty and sweetness of the everyday moments."
Since, I have stopped working I feel like I now have more of these moments, or more time savor them, or I am not as busy and  now recognize them. I would like take the time and share some of our moments from the past three weeks.

This is a picture of Elsie and her friend. He is 6 months and 1 day older then Elsie. That is why he seem so big next to her. He has already "stopped" using his binky, but he likes to take Elsie's and use it. When he gets caught he always acts like he was just putting it in her mouth. This normally is not a big deal. This, however, is the moment where my whole family got the pukes. We were watching Jack that day cause his mom thought she had food poisoning. It wasn't we learned that night during scripture stories when Elsie threw up twice on her book. Within a few hours Ross had caught the bug, and by morning I had it. This was the longest weekend of my life. I have vowed that we will never ever again be sick all at the same time.
Elsie is a social butterfly. She can't stand being stuck in the house for to long. So I have been looking for things what we can do during the day that are free or of little cost. One of my absolute favorite activities is Wiggle Time. It is at our local library on Tuesday and Wednesday. It is just a 40 minute singing time. Elsie loves it she loves playing with the scarves and with the bubbles.  This is also were she learned to clap her hands and say, "Ya!"
Our first time at the library. 
Elsie is starting to want to eat more solids. Recently, I made the mistake of feeding her spaghetti. The mistake wasn't the spaghetti, it was that I thought that I could feed her while we sat on the the livingroom floor. I know, even as I read that sentence, I still don't know how I thought that would be okay.
Well, it turned out to be my favorite moment. Elsie now loves spaghetti. 
Look, at that cute face. I think I could feed her spaghetti everyday and she would have no problems. My favorite part, you can see in the first picture, is she without being taught knew that spaghetti was meant to be slurped. She has also recently became a fan of crackers. 
I have really enjoyed this challenged to focus more on everyday moments. I have liked it so much that I want to continue doing so. I would like to challenge each of you to savor the moment, because like Ted Mosbey says, 

“The beauty of a moment is that it’s fleeting. By its very nature, it slips through our fingers, making it that much more precious”.







3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oooo she's so cute! Love the blog! So sad about getting sick- what a bummer. That is going AROUND. How is Kim? Hope you are well!

Kristina said...

She is so so cute! Love all the pictures :D

My goal is to create good memories for my kids by not being cranky all the time. So my idea of a perfect holiday is a low stress one. Enjoying the little moments and not caring too much if you get spaghetti on the floor is a great way to keep things low stress :D Love you beautiful Mamma :D

Janna said...

Can elsie be any cuter?!? I'm sure she can, gosh I want to kiss her face off! Miss seeing you!