Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Author's Fair

Kimberly, my little sister has been living with Ross and me since last March. She moved in shortly after one my little brothers was flown Flight for Life to Colorado University Hospital in Aurora, Colorado. Talk about a person taking the saying, "Go Big or Go Home!" a little too literal. He originally went to see the doctor for flu like symptoms, was quickly taken to the ICU in Alamosa for appendicitis. He was admitted to the hospital with gall bladder failure. within 12 hours he had exploritory surgery and then was flown to Aurora with liver failure. His liver has recovered, but spent 2 months in 3 different ICU, and survived heart failure 5 times. He is now living with my mom, in a one bedroom apartment waiting for a heart.

Kimberly is currently going to school, where I work. Last night, we had our second annual authors fair. I love this event, I truly believe that it really gives children a love of writing and gives them ownership in their work.  Kimberly wrote a book called, Heroes of Kyle.
  

She worked very hard on this book. It is a great book about how Kimberly, Ross, and I find a magical heart for Kyle. I think she found the assignment to very therapeutic. One of my favorite activities is that the PTA gets published authors to come to our school. Kimberly was able to meet the author of Far World,  J.Scott Savage, I haven't read the series.  Meeting the author and having him read her book was quite the experience for Kim. We purchased his book and we are looking forward to reading it.


We had so much fun at the authors fair that we can't wait to do it again next year. 



No comments: